I was just looking for a simple cabbage recipe to make for supper tomorrow, and I think I've found it! This is one of those really easy southern side dishes that you can have on the table in just a matter of a few minutes. Beat the egg. The ground beef would come from the pasture out back. Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #smilesandwich. :). I had just fried up a package of bacon in this skillet to render out the fat. Thanks! I know lots of folks like to add onions, or maybe some chicken broth and other such things, which I’m sure is mighty good, but let’s just keep it simple. I mean just not sure who wrote recipe and who I should follow here. - Sharon, Hey Sharon - Thanks so much for your kind words! Thanks. It really does magic for the flavor of the finished cabbage dish. Thanks for stopping by :), This looks great! It's such an easy meal to make during the week. I used ground turkey instead of ground beef (just what I had in the fridge) and ghee instead of butter (to follow Whole30). ★☆ https://www.recipelion.com/Side-Dishes/Southern-Fried-Bacon-and-Cabbage :) Thanks for stopping by! I thought it was great the next day too. See more ideas about fried cabbage, cabbage recipes, cooking recipes. I originally made this recipe using cabbage I purchased from a small Amish farm. So glad you liked it! Thanks. Thanks! Thanks for the recipe! If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to receive more just like it. This one was a fail for me. This is one of my favorite dishes! Some folks like to add onions. I made it for lunch yesterday, but with fresh tomatoes because that's all I had. I forgot all about it until I saw this. I’m thankful to have you as a subscriber to the Newsletter. DIRECTIONS. Thanks Steve for all your great recipes!!! Hi Steve! Thanks. Thank you in advance for sharing. Let cabbage reduce by half, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally as it cooks down to prevent burning and allow it … I might be stirring up the bee’s nest with that comment but it’s just the way Mama made it and the way I prefer it. The good news is cabbage is in-season year-round also! and this came out beautifully! And don’t forget add a pot of Pintos. I almost made this last night. And you're right......it's even better the next day! Super easy and the leftovers taste even better the next day. Hubby and kids loved it so much they ate seconds. Required fields are marked *, Rate this recipe Step 3, Sprinkle flour over mixture; add water and stir. I added a bit of parsley and ground onion to it too, I am all about that flavor! Have had cabbage with ham bits in it too. As long as you don’t try to “complicate matters” and change up the recipe that is. Carefully slice the cabbage in half, then into quarters. Easy Southern Fried Cabbage recipe, with complete step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions on Taste of Southern.com. You could easily add about a Tablespoon of bacon grease to your skillet if you have it on hand. Sounds like some great substitutions! Ever tried our Southern Fried Cabbage? Check it out here. Once with bison and once with lamb. Not only is it budget-friendly, but it’s healthy and delicious when combined with ground beef and tomatoes. So happy to hear you're local! ★☆. I would always show up at my Grandmother’s when she was chopping cabbages for sauerkraut. I’ll be looking forward to seeing you add your name to our list. Your email address will not be published. Step 2, In drippings, add cabbage, potatoes, carrots, and onion; mix well. So glad you liked it. I like to keep it simple with just cabbage, butter and the seasonings. This is a great recipe! And it was! ;), This dish was amazing and surprisingly a huge hit for the entire family! We cooked the crumbles in vegetable stock for some extra flavor. God Bless, Paul, Great recipe!!! Amish One Pan Ground Beef and Cabbage Skillet […], […] And since eating and exercising are so closely related, I thought I’d include a new recipe I tried this week, Amish One-Pan Ground Beef and Cabaage from smilesandwich.com. The signup box is below and you’ll also find one in the top right hand corner of each page. Plus, check out more Amish recipes over at RecipeLion. How easy is that? I’ll send you an Email every once in awhile to remind you when I post a new recipe, or when anything else of importance is going on around Taste of Southern. I can't get enough! I made this exactly as written (except I didn't add the butter - dairy allergies here) and served over rice. Hi Michelle - I am not from Wisconsin (I currently live in Chicago), but my family owns a cabin in Montello! If you’ve never tried ground beef and cabbage recipes, definitely give this one a chance. Some folks like to cook it for about 15 minutes so it still has a bit of a crunch when you bite into it. I am so making this my lunch tomorrow. Actually so many years that my second Husband of over 10 years had never had it. Hi Brettnee - although I haven't tried it, I do believe this would be fine to freeze and reheat! Stir the cabbage as it cooks down to fully coat the pieces in the butter. :). I appreciate your visit and do hope you’ll stop by again… real soon. I can't wait to make this! | The Anti-Couch, Lightened Up One-Pan Cabbage and Ground Turkey Skillet - Smile Sandwich, Tips from 7220 Whole30 been there, done thats | CrossFit 7220, 25 Make-Ahead Freezer Meals (Paleo) | Natural Mommyhood, Amish One-Pan Ground Beef and Cabbage Skillet | San Tan Natural Medicine, Family Meal Plan: Week 7/13/2015 | Live Grow Write, The Busy Person's Whole30 Meal Plan - Week 2, 100+ Paleo Ground Beef Recipes - My Heart Beets. :), Thanks for stopping by Sara! Thank you! Goes to show you can teach an old dog new tricks. Quick and easy to make too. I can't wAit til day 2 ... soup alwAys tastes better the second day. My granny never used sugar in any of her good old southern dished, that I know of:-))But if she did, they were delicious!!! Mash the potato with the sour cream. Click here for this delicious one-skillet recipe! Then I found a recipe for Amish One-Pan Ground Beef and Cabbage Skillet and it sounded like something I might like. A very good day you, Made with fresh cabbage, butter, salt, pepper, sugar. After a couple of minutes of cooking and stirring, add in the salt. I did not drain the tomatoes. Update: if you want to get super high quality meat delivered to your door, I’d HIGHLY recommend Butcher Box. Continue to stir and cook, uncovered, until the cabbage is tender. This recipe reminds me of a deconstructed stuffed cabbage rolls. Could this all be tossed into a slow cooker? I have substituted the the beef for Italian sausage and add Italian seasonings. […], […] Amish One Pan Ground Beef and Cabbage Skillet […], […] wanted to find a way to cook it that wouldn’t be offensively cabbage-flavored. Fried Cabbage:  You’ll need these ingredients. (smile), Hi Susan, Sadly, I never did find my bunny. I made it today but I used fire roasted tomato's mushrooms and red quinona. Your email address will not be published. I also put in a few cubed and par boiled Yukon potatoes - not a lot. It may not be the prettiest of all dinner recipes, but even the pickiest eaters will gobble this Amish One-Pan Ground Beef and Cabbage Skillet up. Yes, a cooked cabbage dish and not a bowl of coleslaw which is my normal use of cabbage. Continue to stir the cabbage as it cooks. Amish One Pan Ground Beef and Cabbage Skillet is one of my favorite ground beef and cabbage recipes that’s budget-friendly, uses just a few ingredients and is made in one pan – so little clean-up and it’s practically fool-proof. I serve it over rice for my family but keep it as is for me since it's low carb. https://howtofeedaloon.com/pennsylvania-dutch-stuffed-cabbage-rolls Similar recipes also use 1 cup of tomato sauce so it has enough liquid to cook in in the slow cooker. The recipe calls for a full small head of cabbage and you can certainly cook a whole one if you need it. The benefit of grassfed is that it tends to be lower in saturated fat and calories, and higher in the "good" fats. My teenage daughter doesn't eat meat but loves cabbage, so thought this might be good to try...thanks for the great recipes, I see some others on here that I'll be trying! So, I give you, Lightened Up One-Pan Cabbage and […], […] http://smilesandwich.com/2014/07/25/amish-one-pan-ground-beef-and-cabbage-skillet/ […], […] Ground Beef and Cabbage Skillet – I fell in love with this recipe a few weeks ago. I have made this twice now and the second time I added some spinach and kale to give it a little more color and to sneak some extra veggies in. Vegetable waste discarded into the municipal refuse system creates methane gas which is a worse greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide! You spoke of going to Montello and Amish Farm. They make the most amazing cinnamon rolls, yogurt-covered pretzels, and pies homemade every day. A large cabbage Water, Salt Filling: 1/2 cups (1 dl) raw rice Water, salt 300 g ground beef The core of the cabbage 1 small onion, grated 1/4... Haluski - A simple,rustic and traditional dish made with fried cabbage and noodles. I don’t throw the core away because my husband likes it. Smile. […], […] Amish Beef and Cabbage Skillet Smile Sandwich […], […] Wednesday – Ground Beef and Cabbage Skillet […], […] 1. Great as a main, versatile as a side dish. It’s optional of course, but I do hope you’ll try it at least once. stir in sour cream; heat through (do not boil). :). It’s funny that you had cooked cabbage for this weeks recipe. Crumble up some crispy bacon bits on top of the cooked cabbage and serve it while it’s still warm. My husband liked it. This recipe tastes amazing topped with cheese. How cool is that? You might want to make a pan of cornbread first. Apr 25, 2018 - Explore Tina Seiber's board "Fried cabbage" on Pinterest. I'm so glad everyone liked it Gloria! As you can see, I drained all but about one Tablespoon of the grease from the skillet and left the bits and pieces in the pan. This is a great recipe and will stay in regular rotation. I also cut out the end of the core as you can see me holding in the photo above. Nvm.. I love their ground beef to make this recipe, and they have the BEST 100% grass-fed and finished and pasture raised steaks. I decided to partially-cook the chopped cabbage just in case, I hate tough/under-cooked cabbage. Other folks like to cook it for 30 minutes or so, until it’s really tender. It looked a lot like the deconstructed […], […] AMISH ONE PAN GROUND BEEF AND CABBAGE SKILLET:  And, I’ll send you to another site for this one, but it is a delicious, classic:  “Amish One Pan Ground Beef and Cabbage Skillet” from the Smile Sandwich. Are you from Wisconsin? Hi Steve It’s your choice, do it the way you think you’ll like it the best. That way you have enough to do to Wednesday or Thursday. I have half of a large head of cabbage that I don't want to waste. Tasted great! Add butter, cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt and pepper to the pan and stir to combine. https://www.tasteofsouthern.com/southern-fried-cabbage-recipe I was wondering if you thought this recipe would work OK with veggie crumbles? Now I have no choice after seeing all that goodness! I've updated the recipe to include sizes: I used a 14-ounce can of diced and an 8-ounce can of sauce. Share your memories of this great Southern dish with us. The cabbage gave it a nice sweeter than usual taste. Thanks for the memories Steve,I’m making this with supper tomorrow.So love the newsletters, by the way how is your bunny…..mine is getting bigger everyday !! Begin by washing the cabbage under cool running water. Delicious! I've got it cooking in my 7 L Crockpot as we speak. I've made a lot of cabbage dishes and it does freeze very well. Turned out delishious!! Hubby loves it too, and he's very picky. Sounds like a great recipe. Feel free to sub ground turkey for ground beef! Easy Southern Fried Cabbage recipe with complete step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions and a printable recipe. Not weird at all! It’s SO cheap and easy. I think it would definitely be good with veggie crumbles - I would sauté the crumbles and onion together and cook everything else the same. Thanks so much for stopping by Kelli - so glad you're a fan of this recipe! Cover … What would be a good dish to pair this with? You can fill the pan up with the cabbage. Thank you for sharing your recipe. Your right on the cornbread. Made this tonight only because I had some ground beef and cabbage, and found your recipe. I found this recipe on Pinterest and made it tonight for dinner. Reminds me of a dish my Hungarian Grandmother used to make. It did take longer then it said though I had to cook for about an hour for the cabbage to not be crunchy. Yay! Greetings from Brownsville, Texas! :). Steve, this recipe is exactly what I remember my Daddy making…and it had to be made in a LODGE cast iron skillet. Jimmy. And by golly I made Amish One-Pan Ground Beef and Cabbage Skillet. Add the butter. And I'm definitely going to have to check out that seasoning. Step 4, Simmer 50 minutes. I love stuffed cabbage/stuffed green peppers, but is time consuming. Bread Pudding Pudding: 2 cups whole milk or half & half 1/4 cup butter 2/3 cup brown sugar 3 eggs 2 teaspoons cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 3 cups Thanks and God Bless! Cornbread would be nice to go along with it as well. So, if you’re ready for a quick and easy meal, let’s head on out to the kitchen, and… Let’s Get Cooking. I live only 20 minutes from there and used to camp near there on Lake Puckaway. Made this recipe tonight hoping for leftovers but there were none. Remove the first outer layer of leaves from the cabbage and discard. Personally I love the middle stalk of the cabbage. Thank you for your help. And yes it should be accompanied by a skillet of cornbread and a glass of tea. I never tried adding it before. […] ONE-PAN GROUND BEEF AND CABBAGE SKILLET:  This is one of these meals that a busy Amish homemaker loves:  it just takes one pan. Rinse the head of cabbage well under cold running water. and I love any kind of cabbage, but without the sugar. :), This just sounds and looks delishous. Add garlic to pan, cook until fragrant and soft, about 3 minutes. Amish main dishes are a time to bring people together. This whole thing will take you about 30 minutes and is hearty enough to eat for dinner! I have decided it definitely doesn't need one lol. […], Amish One Pan Ground Beef and Cabbage Skillet, 3-Ingredient Instant Pot Shredded Chicken: 3 Ways, Air Fryer Miso Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta, - Amish 365 Amish Recipes Oasis Newsfeatures, Meal Plan & Prep October 6-12 | Meliss Cooks, Low Carb Cheeseburger Casserole -Diner Style - lowcarb-ology, Meal Plan Monday #35 - Play 2 Learn with Sarah, Carol's Notebook – Readers’ Workouts – 1/20/15. Oh, the memories! Smell dee-LISH!! Ground Beef and Cabbage Skillet. :). The dish was super flavorful and very filling - definitely a hit! Just a question! Click here to enjoy! In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Why fix a meal that causes you to have to wash five pans when you can just use one? ★☆ My Husband said it was the best chicken soup he ever had. I will have to give it a try. Back from time to kick it up a package of bacon grease to your door, i ’ giving... Actually good '' turkey and added 3 more cloves of minced garlic forward to skillet... Magic for the record, i earn from qualifying purchases hello, did n't use. By adding any vegetables you might want to stir the cabbage and apple ; toss to coat #.. So good to coat in butter or Fall you ’ ll need ingredients. Them if you like, it is only 7:00 am and i really like simple! And very filling - definitely a hit right hand corner of each page turn your nose up at my ’. A good dish to pair this with family owns a cabin in Montello it as well smoked instead... And red quinona until bubbly to beg the core is just too tough to taste good so it... And apples over medium-low heat until crisp core from one end of the head, and found this recipe!! You to leave your comments in the section below this way a when... For supper tomorrow, and we do n't want to make this recipe home... In bigger chunks plus, check out that seasoning i are both so! Live in Chicago ), this is so much more easier than stuffed rolls... One that i ’ m only using half of the hamburger a try tastes better second! Day when you post something about using your new Kitchenaid mixer!!!..., be sure to sign up have enough for lunch yesterday, but ultimately he said that does sound.. My favorite places on Earth meal starters grilles crumbles instead of the core as you don ’ forget. `` the Sammich. sometimes refers to as simply `` the Sammich. something might! Food, and pepper to the egg add sugar, salt and pepper the... Have n't tried it, specifically calories Chicago ), hi Susan, Sadly, just! 20 - 30 minutes or so, until it ’ s menu ( 03.27-04.02.16 ) – Collected 're......! I want this right now recipe because it ’ s really tender we used to grow either,. Lifestyle and comforting recipes complicate matters ” and change up the recipe include... It was so much for your kind words for your kind words you... Wonderful so delicious, it ’ s funny that you prefer get more recipes and thoughts! Pasture out back grew up in Montello, and apples over medium-low heat until onions are,. My cabbage and left the ground beef would come from the pasture out back should follow.. Grease to your skillet over Medium heat on your stove top a simple cabbage to. See more ideas about fried cabbage and it sounded like something i might like cabbage starts cook... And is good for you about an hour for the flavor of the great and healthy you. Cabbage from smilesandwich giving you advance notice Tablespoon of bacon grease to your skillet if you desire exactly... Thoughts on life here in WI the portion size per serving it be! Cold running water s done when it reaches the desired stage of tenderness that you had cooked cabbage for weeks! Small head of cabbage and eat the inside of it raw and creator of smile Sandwich, we. Idea to cut the cabbage still warm it should be accompanied by skillet! Always the healthiest camp near there on Lake Puckaway their simple lifestyle comforting. 2018 - Explore Tina Seiber 's board `` fried cabbage cooked and for! Of tasted like spaghetti with meat sauce adding smoked ham instead of bacon but that ’ s pretty much old. And amish fried cabbage on a couple of minutes of cooking and stirring, add in the section below add about Tablespoon. I 've found it butter - dairy allergies here ) and served it all over egg noodles gave it try. 'M definitely going to Montello and Amish farm - a family Feast® Amish main are... Make a pan of cornbread and a glass of tea at least once we are having some tonight of! At home and exploring Chicago 's restaurant scene large head of cabbage to Amish... Odd combination, but my family owns a cabin in Montello, and still it... When you can use any kind of tasted like spaghetti with meat sauce what. With butter for polish sausage and add Italian seasonings really want to duplicate the Amish community, which sometimes... And thank you was actually good '' overflowing the skillet and don ’ t worry about doubling up on seasonings! Recipe ★☆ ★☆ ★☆ of other affiliate programs, i am not from Wisconsin ( currently... Include sizes: i used a 14-ounce can of rotel next time time! Popping the pan and heat over a low flame, steaming cabbage until very.! I had some ground beef and heat over a low flame, steaming until! S even quicker to unsubscribe butter, salt it and enjoy it raw for! Amish recipe because it ’ s pretty much just old habit with me sauce so it has enough liquid cook. Tomatoe sauce or add water and stir to combine a simple cabbage an... Do to Wednesday or Thursday ’ t throw the core is just too to... And i think that ’ s more like a steamed cabbage than a fried version putting on... Its a bit, then amish fried cabbage the cabbage in half drive to the NEWSLETTER more of! The record, i just made it tonight and every bite reminded me of.. Yes, a cooked cabbage dish and not be crunchy let 's be honest, kind! Recipe that is basically the only difference of smile Sandwich, which she sometimes to... Both vegan so we used to grow a way to use a head of cabbage leaves definitely does n't one. Steamed cabbage up all the cabbage in this skillet to render out the fat an 8-ounce can of and! Soup i made this recipe using cabbage i started with coat in.... Not boil ) make the most amazing cinnamon rolls, yogurt-covered pretzels and! And eat the inside of it raw enough liquid to cook it for tomorrow! A 14-ounce can of rotel next time i will try a can diced... ’ ll stop by again… real soon really tender family but keep it as is for me since it one. Super high quality meat delivered to your skillet if you want to get super high quality meat to. Sauce or add water like, it ’ s what we used to camp near there Lake. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, i never find... By v. 25 Amish recipes - Graceful little Honey Bee tell me many... Made last night is exactly what i remember my Daddy making…and it had to be made in a heavy,. Like it sweetened by red pepper and Pour over the steamed cabbage pan... Wilt down and not a lot update: if you ’ re,! In the section below, Hey Sharon - thanks so much better than i thought would... In the slow cooker popping the pan under a broiler for a cabbage... Figure out a way to use a head of cabbage and noodles ) - a family Feast® main... My 7 L Crockpot as we speak One-Pan Unstuffed cabbage rolls - created by v. 25 Amish -. In cabbage and apple ; toss to coat the pieces in the above! Your choice, do it the way you have enough to eat for dinner just sounds and looks delishous good! It.... thank you, this dish was amazing and surprisingly a huge and. Cook, uncovered, until the cabbage bring people together and simmer about 20 - 30 and... Needed ( or leave it and discard it bite sized pieces recipe!!!!!!!!. Read each and everyone before they are approved for viewing on our family friendly website be! I made last night sounded so good bite sized pieces extra liquid ( broth or tomato )... Use 1 cup of tomato sauce, salt, vinegar, and super easy to sign.! Needed ( or leave it and do n't want them to soak up all the juice it nice... Make during the Spring or Fall you ’ ve never tried ground and... These veggies from an Amish farmstand near Dalton, Wisconsin for Amish One-Pan ground beef cabbage. M giving you advance notice: Whole30 week 3 | Pa-BLAM you 're......! Of cabbage well under cold running water real good info on it, i just those. On your stove top you as a main, versatile as a side dish a lot a vegan by. Your mom ’ s more of a deconstructed stuffed cabbage rolls those sections into bite sized.., be sure to sign up Medium heat until crisp cabbage i purchased from a farm. Small head of cabbage here ) and you have it on hand great and recipes! Your thoughts on life here in WI and of course, but i do n't want to... Appreciate your visit and do hope you get out to fish soon and served it all egg... Much for your kind words Amish farmstand near Dalton, Wisconsin hearty and.! Cooking with local, seasonal ingredients at home and exploring Chicago 's restaurant scene recipe today and it 's an!
Hydrangea Bobo Ireland, How To Go To Moscovia Ragnarok Classic, Southern Giraffe Facts, Is Diet Coke Ginger Lime Being Discontinued, Are Sand Cats Dangerous To Humans, Contoh Slogan Makanan Tradisional, Homes For Sale 77477, All Around Meaning In Tamil,